Planning a summer trip is usually focused on what you’ll do, see and experience. Enjoy it even more by spending a little time before you leave to make sure your home is safe while you’re gone.
Consider these suggestions along with your other normal efforts:
•Tell your neighbors you’ll be out of town and to be aware of any unusual activity.
•Notify your alarm company .
•Discontinue your postal delivery.
•Use timers on interior lights to make it appear you’re home as usual.
•Don’t make it easy for burglars by leaving messages on voice mail or posting on social networks.
•Post on social networks about your vacation after you’ve returned.
•Remove the hidden spare keys and give one to a trusted neighbor or friend.
• Lock everything, double-check and set the alarm.
• Take pictures of your belongings in case you need them.
• Disconnect TVs and other equipment in case of unexpected power surges.
• Adjust your thermostat.
• Arrange for lawn care.
• Consider disconnecting the garage door opener.
• Put irreplaceable valuables in a safety deposit box.
It’s nice to go out of town on a well-deserved trip and it’s always nice to get back home…especially when it is just the way you left it.